Director of Finance - Consultant
New York, NY
Director of Finance / VP of Finance consultant
New York, NY
10-12 Month Assignment
We are looking for an experienced Director of Finance / VP, Finance consultant to provide hands-on senior support while the current Finance Director is on maternity leave. Reporting to CFO, this role oversees all financial aspects of business and drives the company’ s financial strategy and planning for 3 businesses. This role is responsible for assessing the financial performance of the company as well as possible risks and investments. This role provides key support to CFO and other business leaders about financial and operational implications, risks and benefits, as well as potential processes to implement various strategic decisions and possible alternative paths.
We are NOT looking for a consultant who is a former CFO/VP of Finance that is used to having a staff to pull reports and create their analysis or someone who prefers management over execution.
We need a consultant willing to work across the levels of the organization, who will do what it takes to ensure the Accounting and Finance function is running smoothly. In this role one day you may be meeting with the board of directors, the next you may have to pull an invoice from the system.
This is an onsite consulting role for the next 10-12 months. Remote applicants will not be considered.
The ideal consultant for the role is a career contractor / professional finance consultant, not someone who is in between full time roles. Continuity of the consulting assignment is key. As the Interim VP of Finance, the businesses you will be supporting are dynamic and fast-paced, constantly evolving to meet strategic needs of the business operations. As a result, we are seeking a consultant that has significant number of years of experience supporting Business Units within a larger holding company, preferably technology or product company background.
- Drive the financial planning of the company by analyzing its performance and risks, retaining constant awareness of the company’ s financial position and acting to prevent and mitigate problems
- Develop financial models and pro forma P&Ls to assess implications of various decisions
- Set priorities and deadlines for and supervise all accounting/finance staff (2 direct reports, 7-10 total team)
- Develop optimized staffing plans and hiring to support changing company needs
- Ensure all corporate, segment and internal deadlines are met
- Ensure preparation of timely and detailed financial performance reporting on a monthly basis
- Ad hoc analysis, forecasts and reporting to executive leadership team
- Ability to manage an experienced finance team
- Advanced modeling and analytical skills required
- Ability to solve problems using critical, rational and creative thinking
- Ability and willingness to execute work at any level required to support finance team members in solving the critical issue of the moment
- Self-motivated and proven ability to manage timelines across multiple projects
- Attention to detail and strong work ethic
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
Education & Experience
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field; advanced degree is a plus
- CPA or other relevant qualification is a plus
- Proven experience as director of finance or VP of Finance; 10+ years of finance and accounting experience
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, and best practices with excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting; financial modeling, establishing KPI’ s will be your responsibility
- Industry experience ideally from Technology, Consumer Products or Digital Media, with a blend of mid to larger company experience